How to Set Up Healthy Boundaries Throughout Your Day
Establish a Morning Routine
Dedicate a Workspace Away from Distraction
Maintain a Schedule
This might be the most important thing you can do to keep the balance at home. Otherwise, it’s simply too easy to have your work seep into your home life. Follow these tips in order to help your days run smoothly!
- Define a start and end to your workday, but don’t confine yourself to 9-5 if that’s not workable for you. Take advantage of some flexibility to make personal appointments, time with family or a lunch date with a friend.
- Be sure to set yourself as away or unavailable when you’re off the clock.
- Take time for yourself during workday by setting time aside for lunch away from your workspace.
- Relying on a schedule not only helps you maintain boundaries with colleagues, but with your family as well—let them know when they have access to you.
Sign Off Mentally and Physically
Make self-care a priority and give yourself permission to put yourself first. This will help increase your personal wellbeing and give you the energy to be more present with others. Here are some great ways to practice self-care every day:
- Fake a commute and take advantage of this extra “me time.”
- Listen to your favorite podcast or audiobook to help yourself unwind.
- Drink lots of water! Keep a big water bottle on your desk and sip it throughout the day.
- Get outside! Go for a walk to improve both your mood and cognitive performance.
- Get up and move at least once every hour.
- Keep a positive attitude and take deep breaths to keep your stress level down.
- Set an intention to enjoy each day! A moment of mindfulness every day can have a big impact on your overall attitude.
Setting healthy boundaries can guide us to a more productive and happier life. Keep these five tactics in mind as you go throughout your day, and you, too, can find the balance you have been searching for.